By Carroll Pursell
- 22 unique essays by way of specialist students hide crucial good points of yankee know-how, together with advancements in vehicles, tv, and computing
- Analyzes the ways that applied sciences are equipped, equivalent to within the engineering occupation, govt, medication and agriculture
- Includes discussions of ways applied sciences engage with race, gender, category, and different organizing buildings in American society
Read or Download A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Best history of technology & engineering books
In continuously Already New, Lisa Gitelman explores the novelty of latest media whereas she asks what it skill to do media background. utilizing the examples of early recorded sound and electronic networks, Gitelman demanding situations readers to contemplate the ways in which media paintings because the simultaneous matters and tools of historic inquiry.
Mining in international heritage bargains with the historical past of mining and smelting from the Renaissance to the current day, drawing out, in an interesting and fast moving type, the interaction of personalities, politics and know-how that have jointly formed the metallurgical industries over the past 500 years. Martin Lynch opens with the discovery, someday prior to the 12 months 1453, of arevolutionary approach for isolating silver from copper, an occasion thatrevived the wealthy copper-silver mines of crucial Europe and the rulingambitions of the Habsburg emperors who owned them.
The assumption of clever machines has develop into a part of pop culture. yet tracing the heritage of the particular technological know-how of desktop intelligence unearths a wealthy community of cross-disciplinary contributions -- the unrecognized origins of rules now crucial to synthetic intelligence, synthetic lifestyles, cognitive technology, and neuroscience.
Starting in 1580, a few competing London businesses bought water on to shoppers via a wide community of wood mains within the increasing city. This new water flourished through the 1600s, ultimately increasing to serve tens of millions of houses. via the overdue eighteenth century, greater than eighty percentage of the city’s homes had water connections—making London the best-served city on the earth whereas demonstrating that it used to be legally, commercially, and technologically attainable to run an infrastructure community in the greatest urban on the earth.
- The Mouse Machine: Disney and Technology
- Towards Global Action for Appropriate Technology (Pergamon international library of science, technology, engineering, and social studies)
- American Sunshine: Diseases of Darkness and the Quest for Natural Light
- Worlds Without End: The Many Lives of the Multiverse
- De l'orangerie au palais de cristal, une histoire des serres (French Edition)
Extra info for A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)